Jan 17, 2013

going rogue with dad

DSC_6819p
random picture of some origami I did the other day
Last night was a good night. Last night didn't start out as a good night, but rather as a very average night. Like the ones when you were 14 and it was a Thursday night during the school year - not quite Monday night, but definitely no Friday night either. The kids had worn me down with their "I don't wanna eat thiiiiis" and "He's looking at me agaaaiiiin", I had an intense workout in the morning and basically I was just beat. I felt like being in the house was in fact prolonging that feeling and I decided I needed to get out of it to relax. After a quick check of movie times I found that Les Miserables was playing at 7:45pm. It was then 7:00pm - perfect. I called mom to see if she could be persuaded to join me but she was a 7 on the scale of 1-10 of tired, so that was a no-go. Her mind was still working quicker than mine though, and she quickly asked dad if he felt like going with me. "Sure!", was his immediate reply, and a smile appeared on my face.

Off we were, each with a secret can of soda stowed away, and the theater refill bucket for some popcorn. Dad kindly offered to pay for the tickets, and then we were walking into the darkened auditorium... where the movie was already playing. Wait, weren't we on time? Shouldn't these be previews? Did we step into the wrong auditorium?? Dad checked the tickets. Right auditorium... but.. showtime 9:45pm? I know I'm a spacer, but surely I didn't make a mistake THAT big!

Well, I did and I am officially an idiot. There we were, popcorn in hand, with 2 whole hours to spare. So we did what any self-respecting individual would do: we went rogue. We marched right into the next auditorium like it was nobody's business (it helped that there was nobody around) and sat down to pass the time... and whatever you do, never go see 'A Haunted House'. We walked out on that disaster after all of 5 minutes. We moved on to next door and ended up watching most of This is 40 (does a movie about parenting really need to feature THAT much bad language? Talk about dumbing down...) before sitting back down in the first auditorium, this time as the previews began to roll. Can I just make an official declaration right now that my dad is so much fun to hang out with. Add that to the list of 'things my 16-year-old self would never believe she'd be saying as an adult'! I come from a long line of airheads - all on my dad's side - so he understood my mistake, shrugged, and just went with it. Exactly what I needed.

And Les Mis? Amazing. The idea of Russell Crowe singing his way through a movie had me reaaaally hesitant, but it worked. And I was lucky I happened to have a pack of tissues in my bag, because it is officially the biggest tearjerker I have ever seen.

I even got to hear a new Ryan Adams song at the end of This is 40, which sealed the night with an official Mark of Awesome. Thanks dad :)

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.