Jan 24, 2011

lemon cake, anyone?

Lately I have been suffering from a lot of headaches, and I have to cancel appointments on several occasions because of them. I know (at least I'm pretty sure) why I'm getting them and it's just something I have to wait out for a bit, so I've been refraining from complaining, thus containing my disdain. Oooh, I'm adding that to the rap song I'm writing. Ok maybe I'm not really writing a rap song, but that sentence proves that I could if I wanted to.

Back to the headaches. Yesterday I couldn't go to church because the thought alone of opening my eyes made my head explode into ten quatrillion tiny pieces, and everybody knows you need to keep your eyes open in church. As the morning drew to a close my headache started melting away, and suddenly I had all this energy that needed to be used, and so I did the only logical thing: I baked a cake. To be more precise, I baked Martha Stewart's Lemon cake with Whipped Lemon Frosting.

This cake has it all if you're a lemon enthusiast like me. Lemon juice and zest in the batter, more lemon juice the frosting AND even more lovely fresh lemon juice in the syrup made to drizzle on the cakes before assembling and frosting.

The recipe even calls for cooked and sweetened sliches of lemon to garnish the cake with. They made the thing look picture perfect, but I hate to say they tasted just awful, so I don't think I'll be going through the trouble next time unless I'm baking for the Queen or something.

It turned out so delicious. The whipped frosting (egg whites, sugar, salt and water, with lemon juice stirred in after the whipping) was light and fresh and a beautiful glossy white, complimenting the yellow and moist cake really well. Definitely a keeper. I can't wait to serve it with a pitcher of fresh lemonade after a sunny rooftop barbecue when the weather gets warmer. Find the recipe here and be sure to invite me over when you make it!



No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.