Jan 12, 2011

it's a sleep trip, into bed you hop

Max' first night in his big boy bed was a success! Unfortunately the following nights were a little more troublesome (the highlight being when Max managed to lock Sander, Elliot and I into our bedroom at 4am) and we had to become a little more resourceful and creative. We now use the following method:

1. Usual bedtime ritual (prayers, read a book, sing a lullaby)
2. Give him a good night kiss and we tell him we'll be back to check on him in a minute. If he's still in bed he gets another kiss, if not he gets put back into bed with a (soft!) spank.
3. Repeat #2, leaving more and more time in between checks if he remains in bed. Usually it only takes 3 checks (approx. 10 mins) for him to be asleep.
4. Lock him in his room. This is absolutely necessary as there is too much trouble he could get into if he were to start wandering, such as locking us in again.

Max' favourite bedtime books are the Nijntje (Miffy) books, and his most requested lullabies are Choo Choo Train (I have it on a Doris Day CD, can't find it ANYWHERE else. If you have a tip please let me know!) and The Good Ship Lollipop. The latter was one of my faves to ask my mother to sing to me when I was a lil' girl.

Next up is potty training. Oh goody.

1 comment:

Andrew and Marissa said...

ah those Thomas the train stickers look adorable. And good job Max! I am glad to hear I am not the only mom who had to lock their son in their bedroom at night out of fear of the unknown... that's hilarious about the bathroom btw! let me know how it goes

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.